Today's Wisdom

Those who do not pass from the experience of the cross to the truth of the resurrection condemn themselves to despair! For we cannot encounter God without first crucifying our narrow notions of a god who reflects only our own understanding of omnipotence and power
Pope Francis

Sunday, June 2, 2013

The Reality of Conflict

Conflict is not only a disagreement between two intellectuals but has to do with preconceived ideas. I can refer to the history of long divisions between Christians who to-date have not healed. But even within friends conflicts can arise because one is perceived by his friends as too demanding. I experienced it yesterday when a number of women and men who are close friends mocked me because they perceived that I wanted to impose my will on their entertainment. One of them who is always critical of my Catholic knowledge since he is attached to a non-Catholic Church, intrigued me yesterday by admonishing me to be humble and not to seek my self-glory, following the gospel's demand. If you have ever experienced the human endeavor of always thinking about how you would look when a friend - publicly in front of your other close friends - humiliates you, you can understand my predicament.
But today I was vindicated when the District Deputy of the Knights of Columbus in Ontario and the pastor of Jesus the King Church announced to everyone, some 200, in the Mass my name as the winner of the best Bulletin Award - Honorable Mention. The Pastor added that "George has displayed so much energy in writing"! This was, of course, not my choice but the choice of leaders of the Knights of Columbus among 800 delegates in Ontario in their meeting a couple of weeks ago. We had a number of pictures taken with other 7 Knights who also won veritable Awards ranging from Best Council, Best Youth Project, to Best Web Site and many more.
One lesson is evident here. Men are free to join or reject joining the Knights of Columbus but the truth must be said: This lay order has close to 2 million Catholic members working together in charitable works. Satan can attempt to sow divisions as he did and always does whether in stimulating envy or getting me to hate those who disagree with me. But I am confident as we celebrate 'Corpus Christi" that Christ will in the end be the victor!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today's Quote

"Behold I make all things new." (Revelation 21:5)







Websites

See Links to Websites Below