Today's Wisdom

Those who do not pass from the experience of the cross to the truth of the resurrection condemn themselves to despair! For we cannot encounter God without first crucifying our narrow notions of a god who reflects only our own understanding of omnipotence and power
Pope Francis

Monday, September 17, 2012

The Devil within me

The destructive force in the past week in the Islamic world is an act of revenge against America symbolizing the powerful “infidel” forces and specifically against those so-called Christians who dared to mock the founder of Islam in a video published to coincide with the 11th anniversary of the infamous 9/11 terrorist attacks. Christian leaders immediately distanced themselves from such horrible movie that discriminates against the beliefs of Muslims and Muslim leaders condemned acts of violence of Muslim followers.

Vengeance does not need to be public. It is an act of the self and can remain hidden in thoughts or in the unconscious for months and years. I can pray for you but at the same time harbour jealousy in my soul. I can collaborate with you but within me I do not wish you to succeed in your work. I can pretend to be your friend while I secretly feel safer with your demise! Or I can say to myself I will never hurt you, yet I destroy your image in my mind!

Even in marital sexual relations, I can pretend to love my spouse while all what I want is to satisfy myself and my ego thus turning the act of love into an act of fornication inside marriage.

A few days ago I had a little heated conversation with two friends who, like me, claim to be serving the Church. The conversation ended with my feeling of being let down by sincere friends and my pride being compromised by both of them that, in reaction, I threatened them that they cannot speak on my behalf and furthermore they must watch what they are doing as I can turn things against them using my “power” in the Church.

This is the secret of revenge that Christ and his saints overcame by love. I say this but do I really live this love in my thoughts and acts?  

The Devil is within. How do I expel him if I am not Christ?

Revenge does not have to be violent. It is sufficient to be in the heart to drive me to hell, for from within the heart come good thoughts and bad thoughts. Violence is only an extended form of selfishness in which the Devil  appeared to Christ in his passion and a few saints trying to scare them in their spiritual fights.

The Devil is within. How do I expel him if I am not Christ?

Vengeance is the same game that the powers of the world play in war and politics in any context. It wants only the expansion or survival of the self.

And when Pope Benedict XVI went to Lebanon Friday, many leaders were cheering him and hearing his words for reconciliation between inhabitants of the Middle East. But was anyone listening? Christ too was cheered by the crowds less than a week before his crucifixion. Three hundred and fifty attended Benedict's farewell Mass but who really was touched by his words and transformed from within?

The Devil is within. How do I expel him if I am not Christ?
Pray for me and for yourselves. Each one needs to repent. This is why the sacrament of confession is only the beginning and prayer is a first step.

If God were not all loving and patient, who would have been saved? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today's Quote

"Behold I make all things new." (Revelation 21:5)







Websites

See Links to Websites Below