Today's Wisdom

Those who do not pass from the experience of the cross to the truth of the resurrection condemn themselves to despair! For we cannot encounter God without first crucifying our narrow notions of a god who reflects only our own understanding of omnipotence and power
Pope Francis

Monday, April 2, 2012

Behold, I stand at the door and knock

As we enter into the Holy Week of the Passion of Christ, I must recognize that we spend too much time on connecting with the world around each one of us than on contemplating God in his love to you and to me individually. Not only in entertainment or work, but also in service of the church and good causes we are drifting away from thinking of our Savior and God Jesus Christ.  The Internet is a good thing but how we use it makes a difference. 

Even in the Mass I attended on Sunday, I felt I was talking with others but not with God. The Mass is necessary for the community. The more we are in the habit of memorizing what we do, the more we do it without thinking or reflection. However, I am invited to focus on Christ more than merely a theatrical play. The Eucharist is the epitome of God's grace. How badly did  I misuse it! Christ himself becomes our food as the bread and wine are transformed to his real body and blood. He unites us all in this communion. In Catholic theology this is called the Real Presence.

Many years ago, before email and the Internet became possible, I read this magnificent word in a Christian publication. The priest was telling himself "How many years have I served the altar of the Lord rather than serving the Lord of the altar??" 

My life and yours will not be eternal here on earth.  "Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if any one hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me. " says the Lord. 

Let us think again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today's Quote

"Behold I make all things new." (Revelation 21:5)







Websites

See Links to Websites Below