Today's Wisdom

Those who do not pass from the experience of the cross to the truth of the resurrection condemn themselves to despair! For we cannot encounter God without first crucifying our narrow notions of a god who reflects only our own understanding of omnipotence and power
Pope Francis

Friday, September 20, 2019

My Cross

As I am almost 66 years old, I feel the need to be close to God. It is the same need that old people, who were raised in the Church, express in their more frequent attachment to daily prayers (see it here), access to on-line websites about saints of the day (see it here), and closer attendance of the Mass (for the past few days, I attended on-line daily Mass widely available in Canada at https://dailytvmass.com/) as well as physically attending Mass in church on Sundays where I receive the Holy Eucharist in the state of grace as advised by my spiritual director in Toronto...
I do the above because I feel the need for God. But over the past couple of years, one member of the extended family passed away due to cancer and another member passed away due to heart failure. One of my close friends also passed away due to cancer. In spite of advances in medicine and technology, tragedies continue to surround people notably the poor.  Aging also causes much of health problems and depression. In our secular societies, younger generations are not inclined to think of spiritual needs. Money dominates most of the interests and drives consumer-based economies.
For the past 40 years, I worked with computers. Today, the Internet is the major source of my readings and writings. Due to my breathing difficulty I continuously need the oxygen tank whether at home our outside home. As I get less mobile, I hardly leave home except for Mass and the occasional outing. The fact that in my nose, there is a tube for breathing, makes me feel uncomfortable. To avoid being stuck with serious matters, I seldom check the political "games" and spend much time on good comedy shows available on the Internet.

My personal health problems are explained in my post titled "Sing to the Lord" and written in May 2018 here. My readers may want to compare it with a lecture I gave in July 2008 titled "A Living Miracle" here.

The first thing that comes to my mind everyday is suffering. As I get older, I have come to believe that God blessed us with so much not only because of my suffering but notably because others suffered too with me including my mother of blessed memory, my mother-in-law of blessed memory, and particularly my wife who often "put up" with me as well as my brothers and sisters-in-law, with their assistance (both spiritual and when I needed them), and indeed many people whom I have known. They are sanctified through Christ those who accept suffering and endure to the end. Here is a post titled "Human Angels" and written in October 2018 here that signifies the above.    

In 2008, I wrote a post on the "Mystery of Suffering" here. In it, the following points are made:
1. Christian witness draws on Biblical and tradition experience, particularly the life of Christ, to affirm the ultimate victory of God’s love in spite of evil. 
2. God never causes evil, but only permits it, whether it comes in the form of natural disasters or through the actions of people who wish to inflict harm on others. God has built laws into nature and freedom into people, and God respects that freedom. 
3. How do we share in the redemptive suffering of Christ? St. Paul wrote in his letter to the Colossians “Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I complete what is lacking in Christ’s afflictions for the sake of His body, that is the Church.”

In closing, I suggest that my readers focus on the suffering of others and share their own with them in the hope that all may be saved through Christ our Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today's Quote

"Behold I make all things new." (Revelation 21:5)







Websites

See Links to Websites Below