Today's Wisdom

Those who do not pass from the experience of the cross to the truth of the resurrection condemn themselves to despair! For we cannot encounter God without first crucifying our narrow notions of a god who reflects only our own understanding of omnipotence and power
Pope Francis

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

The Hominization Project

This past week I had a number of surprises: First I met on Thursday July 25 with Professor Dr. Michael Jewett , Professor of Surgery at the University of Toronto as he informed me that I am free of cancer according to the results of medical check tests that I recently underwent. He continues his medical clinical research assisted by researchers, physicians and staff. 

The second surprise was a sad one as I learned of the death of Georges Mahfouz, a most prominent engineer in France who was also a humble and committed Christian who participated in charitable work and attended Mass every day. But his heart was always the open encouraging and creative spirit. I knew Georges Mahfouz since 1978 in Egypt. He and his learned wife visited us in Toronto some 17 years ago when he had just retired. He suffered physically from cancer and other illnesses in the past 10 years. May God bless his soul.

The third surprise: On Friday I sought confession before attending Mass and receiving the Eucharist in thanksgiving to God who continues to give me the gift of life. At that point, I learned of the death of the charismatic Fr. Peter Mosteller who passed away about a year ago. It was a shock for me as he was my confessor and spiritual director for over 15 years. He served at St. Basil Roman Catholic Church where he gave electrifying homilies. He was a strong and humble person who, in spite of his age and illness continued to see me when I requested his advice. May God bless him in his eternal kingdom.

Having received the Eucharist another great surprise took place when I went on my way home to the barber. There I encountered Fr. Jim, the great pastor and preacher at St. Alphonse's Roman Catholic Church. My wife and I frequently attend Mass at St. Alphonse's Church only to hear him speak. 

The work of God continues in humanizing us and our civilizations. This is the "Hominization Project" of which Karl Rahner, S.J. and René Girard spoke.

Love is the means by which we become a true civilization and loving in the likeness of God. On a personal basis, the attainment of the Divine or the Divinization of Man is expounded by St. Athanasius in his writings on the Incarnation of the Son of God (You may wish to see this original translation  http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/2802.htm). St Bernard's famous homily on the 4 loves is a deep reflection because in it love moves from the self to God. See it here:
http://todayquestions.blogspot.ca/2008/07/st-bernard-on-four-loves.html

I thank the Triune God for his continuing gifts of love, the Virgin Mary, and everyone who prays for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today's Quote

"Behold I make all things new." (Revelation 21:5)







Websites

See Links to Websites Below